Tuesday 8 February 2011

Trying to get out of a rut

I don't know, something  about doing all my muslins recently and fiddling with paper patterns and alterations and reference books has left me in a bit of a rut. I have slightly lost enthusiasm for sewing. It is that typical "I haven't actually finished anything in aaaaages" problem. Clearly I need an easier challenge to get me going again, and one which will be finished super quickly and hopefully without drama!

I planned to make a circle skirt using Casey's vintage tutorial, and correspondingly made my first on-line fabric purchase! I went to Gone to Earth looking for fabric (and also a copy of  Collete's Oolong -clearly even contemplating an easy project has made my more ambitious again!) and picked up some lovely Amy Butler fabric -I really enjoy a big bright pattern, and as my friends know I am very partial to blues and turquoise!


Sadly, being a chump of the highest order I didn't order enough fabric to make the circle skirt (I really don't know what's wrong with me sometimes!) I am half a metre too short. FAIL. So, I decided to use one of my existing patterns to make a slightly less full skirt out of my 2 metres.

Take two-now I am working with Style 1025, a vintage skirt pattern that my lovely mummy gave me when I first got my sewing machine. It's very simple, just a 2 piece flared skirt cut on the bias. No frills, so hopefully no spills (I know I know, famous last words-this hassle free project has already become slightly over drama filled!)


I will be making version 2, the knee length one. I assumed I would make option 3 as the picture shows a nice length, but apparently those drawn ladies are really short as version 3 is practically a mini on me. Its not exactly the project I initially planned, but I think it will work well, as it is probably better that the big pattern is less distorted by folds.

No comments:

Post a Comment